I want to start my own Mobile Valeting business!

I want to start my own Mobile Valeting business!

Postby Astone46jack » 19 Oct 2011, 20:04

Hello guys,

I hope someone can help me here, I am currently a barber as some of you may know but I only work Monday-Saturday having Tuesdays off. I am looking at earning some extra monies on the side. I absolutely love cleaning my own car and as being a perfectionist and some time a bit OCDish. I think this business would be good for me. I'm just wondering if there is anyone here who has done this before or know where I can start? ATM I don't have a van or any equipment so I'm wondering what is best for me and what I'll need.

I think it won't be a while until I start this as I said this is just an idea and I'm ready to put this into action.

Can anyone also let me know if this can be a money maker, i.e can I make good money? will this business last? will I be needed much?

Many thanks if anyone can help out! :D

Sir Aston Jack the Legend!

BMW forum uk

Check out our new home page! >> BMW Forum
Astone46jack
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: BMW e36 318is coupe

Re: I want to start my own Mobile Valeting business!

Postby M60NJP » 19 Oct 2011, 21:59

Lemme give this some thought - I'll post back tomorrow with some ideas.........
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport

Postby Astone46jack » 19 Oct 2011, 22:01

thank you neal, much appreciated! :D

BMW forum uk

Astone46jack
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Lewy » 19 Oct 2011, 23:02

What I think is missing from this market at the moment is an honest home service, not the usual crap that people peddle.

These mobile valeters these days can be just as bad as taking your car through the £2.50 car wash with some of the junk they use.

What I would advise is rather than setting up the traditional mobile valeter with van, lots of chemicals etc etc, why not see if you can pitch your local area and clean other people's car in the same way you'd do your own?

So, using their water, their power, you'd then only need a decent Karcher washer or similar and then some decent detailing stuff, nice cheap way to start and then people would see you're doing a proper job and pass the word on. Not quite as mobile as you'll have to do this at people's homes but not a bad place to start without having to lay out lots of cash?

Just a thought anyway :D
Lewy
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: BMW E36/7 Z3 2.8 (pre facelift)

Postby Astone46jack » 19 Oct 2011, 23:08

I wanted to do it from the back of my BMW! Go to there homes use their power and water as you said and do it just as I do mine at home but problem is how much will I charge to be a good rate?

BMW forum uk

Astone46jack
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Lewy » 19 Oct 2011, 23:11

Err, good point. Not sure what your area demands TBH but best thing is to start phoning around other valeters to get prices, then undercut them.

Then sell off the back of the fact that it's a proper wash, not using the usual chemicals and start to get to really know the detailing market so you can dazzle your customers :lol:

Your costs will no doubt be less than competitors as you won't have the costs of all of their kit.
Lewy
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: BMW E36/7 Z3 2.8 (pre facelift)

Postby Astone46jack » 19 Oct 2011, 23:49

Autoglym, meguiars and a little auto finesse and dodo juice! Should do the job! ;)

BMW forum uk

Astone46jack
BMW Enthusiast

Postby M60NJP » 20 Oct 2011, 07:35

Astone46jack wrote:I wanted to do it from the back of my BMW! Go to there homes use their power and water as you said and do it just as I do mine at home but problem is how much will I charge to be a good rate?

This is the aspect I'd think carefully about - most folk are out at work Mon-Fri so doing a valet at their home is less likely than at their place or work (like mobile tyre fitters)? So, I think you're gonna need a van to carry water and potentially a genny? Whether home or work, you'll need a gazebo of some sort in order to work undercover (not MI5....) anf this need to be industrial strength and well weighted down?

You may have to decide whether you carry (or can get quickly) a range of products? Some owners may insist on polish X vs polish Y, so you have to decide whether your service accommodates that or you use X only? The product quality is a tricky one (heed the advice about phoning around existing valeters in your area and seewhat they use?) as it affects price?

Not to put you off at all, but there's potentially quite an upfront outlay for equipment and chemicals, plus you'll need a good promo/marketing activity to break in the market and generate the leads?

Good luck!
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport

Postby Astone46jack » 20 Oct 2011, 09:27

Yeah, I'd do it on sundays to start with! So I'd do a unique from boot of my car! ;)

BMW forum uk

Astone46jack
BMW Enthusiast

Postby ASJ » 20 Oct 2011, 10:45

once youve got this started and if you wanted to expand and get a van with water and gene have look round your local area for any call centres as if you have got any these can be gold mines, the wife works for O2 and they have a mobile valet service that comes on site dont know off the top of my head how much he charges but there is over 500 cars in the car park and he's there at least 3 - 4 times a week and even comes 2 nights in the month and cleans the cars between 7 - 10 pm (the car park is very well lit) to cater for the staff on late shifts.

It's just an idea to keep in mind
Andy
ASJ
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: bmw
e63
645ci coupe

Next

Return to Off topic - Anything Goes!