White Smoke!

For everything relating to the BMW 5 series
WRussell87
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E39 530i Sport Champagne I edition

White Smoke!

Post by WRussell87 » 08 Mar 2017, 13:37

Afternoon All

I have an issue and it 'Might' be bad, hear my thoughts & symptoms!

The other morning I noticed a fair plume of white smoke (not the normal condensation) a couple of seconds after the car fired up, about 15 seconds later it has cleared.

Got the same again when I started the car after work, about 10 hours later. The smoke has been relatively consistent at start up since then but always clears 15/20 seconds later.

My first thought was CCV 'again' but have a horrible suspicion it might be the head gasket! Commute to work is about 11 miles but only takes 20 minutes so wouldn't really say the car is getting properly hot.

Pulled the top ventilation tube off to see this;

Again fairly confident at this stage it is the CCV.

This morning, again smoke at start up clearing as normal. 15 miles later and a restart 1.5 hours later and smoke again. Noticed a couple of puffs when pulling away but am happy to put this down to the exhaust being cold.

Got to work and parking the car went from R into D and noticed another small puff.

To help try and diagnose I topped the coolant up so the ball was directly level with the top of the reservoir and did it from properly cold. Checked a day later, again properly cold, and it had dropped but only slightly, 5mm or so from the top, not sure if you can put this down to conditions or not?

I've checked the oil numerous times, no signs of water and no signs of oil in the coolant either! With the help of the Intravee I've been keeping track of the coolant temp had a max of 208F/97C that was earlier after the warm restart. From cold it normally sits at 204F max (95.5C)

Also pulled the dipstick with the car running to check for vacuum and did the same with the oil filler cap. Neither have a noticeable vacuum/pressure wither way

Sorry it's a bit of a long post but thanks in advance for the advice
ImageImage

Iggy
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E36 328 convertible

Re: White Smoke!

Post by Iggy » 08 Mar 2017, 15:13

your crankcase vent system is blocked for sure.. how many miles on the car? any history of being done? wouldnt jump to head gasket untill you have cleared the vent issue then see..

iggy

WRussell87
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E39 530i Sport Champagne I edition

Post by WRussell87 » 08 Mar 2017, 15:17

I'm just off the 140K mark and did a CCV in May 2015.

Thought I'd be ok with the journies I'm doing but thinking about it, my drive to work is 11/12 miles but only takes about 20 minutes and it does seem to have been very cold for a long time.

I've got all the parts to do the Oil Filter Housing gasket, pullies and belts in the next few weeks so may tackle it then.
ImageImage

Singvogel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: F30 LCI 330D M-Sport

Post by Singvogel » 08 Mar 2017, 15:33

Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQP9WmPG2q8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always had a BMW since I collected my first one in Munich - a 528i in June 1982.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 08 Mar 2017, 18:48

A sniff test will tell you for sure, but you've certainly got water in the oil.

A slim hope, but if you use it for a lot of short/town journies, these engines have a tendency to 'mayo' the oil and puff white smoke. An oil change and a long run can sort it............but a sniff test might be best first in case you get stranded!

Return to “BMW 5 Series Forum”