Cold bottom hose

For everything relating to the BMW 3 series
ICEMANSKI
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW E46 330Ci M Sport Individual ragtop

Cold bottom hose

Post by ICEMANSKI » 11 Feb 2018, 15:14

Hi guys, There appears to be a bit of a grey area regarding this topic, but I know you experts will have the answer. I've just had the serpentine belt and hydraulic tensioner replaced, due to a breakage, and I noticed on the drive home from the garage, late on Friday that the heater was blowing cold. I topped it up late that night as I was at work early Sat. morning; I undid the top bleeder near the filler neck, as I topped up, and left it running 10/15mins. The heater was now working ok, so I left it and made a mental note to check the level the next day. Saturday's drive to work was fine, normal temp gauge position and temperature inside car. I checked the level again today, and noticed the bottom hose is cold....everything is operating & reading fine, so could it have always been like this? When I've checked online, some people are saying this is the norm and the radiator is doing it's job correctly, but as an engineer myself, I find this a bit strange. Hopefully you guys can enlighten me....many thanks in advance🤔

Metroreg
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E46 330ci Vert

Re: Cold bottom hose

Post by Metroreg » 11 Feb 2018, 16:01

What was the temp gauge showing, both top hose and bottom hose should be the same temp could be a number of things a small air lock, or the thermostat has not open yet
MODS TEAM
Sam

BMW Enthusiasts is a free club for everything BMW related

E46 330ci Vert

Check out our new home page! >> BMW Forum

ICEMANSKI
BMW Enthusiast

Post by ICEMANSKI » 11 Feb 2018, 19:07

Hi, The temp gauge was smack on 12 o'clock position... the same as it's been for 6/7years since I've had the car. I'll have another look in the morning, maybe check the other bleed points...I don't think its too serious as it doesn't get too hot, it doesn't boil, it now gets warm enough and the gauge position is as it was. I'll let you know the outcome 👍

ICEMANSKI
BMW Enthusiast

Post by ICEMANSKI » 17 Feb 2018, 17:19

Hi guys, Just an update re the cold hose. After a few days of a shortish commute to work, and no more developments, I popped into my local Beemer garage & explained the symptons. He then asked me if I had the heating on at max, 32°, which as it was cold, I did have. As the car wasn't at 32° the thermostat wasn't opening to circulate. He dropped the temp to 16°, and said by the time you get home in 15 mins, the bottom hose will be warm, sure enough it was. I guess if it had been summer, this would not have arisen, as it was simply the cold weather doing it's thing! Anyway, Just thought I'd post the outcome in case it's of use.....a big thanks for your help.👌

cockneyrebel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 17 Feb 2018, 18:56

Great result, and thanks for the feedback on results. :thumbup:

Return to “BMW 3 Series Forum”