pdc failure

645v8
BMW Enthusiast

pdc failure

Post by 645v8 » 10 Dec 2011, 22:48

guys,

need help. got the dreaded bong followed by pdc failure.... but only sometimes, car hardly gets used at this time of year but when it does i get the bong. i get no beeping, the display comes up on screen but no graphics showing distance etc.

could it just be battery power?? i ask this as every now and then i get different bongs ( steering failure ?? suspension shagged ?? or words to that effect. but then turn car off , leave a few mins then turn on and alls back to normal....the window on the battery has been black ( insufficient charge or something ?? ) for sometime now. and i have just purchased a charger to try get the bat back up to scratch

so , what do i check first ?? wheres the brains here ???

Lewy
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E63 M6 & E36/7 Z3 2.8

Re: pdc failure

Post by Lewy » 11 Dec 2011, 00:31

Haha, well, you know more than me mate!! But in my experience I'd always be looking at the battery voltage issues first, no dount Yoda knows more :thumbup:

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 11 Dec 2011, 08:42

Possible - but unlikely to be battery, only because that would usually throw up other issues (bongs!). 90% likely to be the failure of one (or more) sensors. It is said you can hear a faint clicking from each if they work - and therefore by elimination the one(s) that don't (not clicking) but I never managed it myself (even when I had 2 duds!).

Quickest/easiest is a trip to your local indie - each unit is coded separately so the reader will not only confirm it is a sensor, but which one. They're factory colour coded so a bit pricey (about £80 each from memory), not too easy to fit DIY either (but possible!)

645v8
BMW Enthusiast

Post by 645v8 » 07 Jan 2012, 21:58

guys,

all sorted. at some point i will post a how to. in short though, the charging of the bat did f all.
info from another site in the U.S told me to check the sensors. if you turn on the sensors and put your ear close to each one in turn you will hear a fast clik, clik, clik, clikking, the one that dont clik clik clik is the one thats shagged. that alone saved me more or less £80 for bm's to stik the machine on it.
someone else said that if it was a sensor next to the front grille (as in my case) then it could be changed without removing the front bumper (not the case). but, removing the bumper is probably easier than removing a wheel. i think about 15 screws/torx bolts a lift and a wiggle and its off. then unplug the sensor , plug in new one and 15 screws to do up. job done.

stealers wanted £245 i think the nice man said plus the £80 for the problem identification.

i did take a couple of pics so i will post up soon.

forgot to add, got the sensor off ebay £40 for 2 and a result as they were in my colour.
if anyone needs help before i get the 'how to' sorted, feel free to pm and i'll chat you through it

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Post by RayB » 07 Jan 2012, 22:07

Glad you got it sorted mate, just goes to show how forums are saving us £££ :thumbup:

Return to “Electrical”