BMW VEHICLE STABILITY / BRAKES WARNING LIGHTS - HELP !

For everything relating to the BMW 1 series
Alandoc
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 1 SERIES - 118 - DIESEL 53 PLATE

BMW VEHICLE STABILITY / BRAKES WARNING LIGHTS - HELP !

Post by Alandoc » 31 Oct 2012, 22:10

Hello, new to this forum and looking for some independant advice.
I have warning lights on my Dashboard and have had a diagnosis.

1. The front and rear brake wear sensors are broken and need replaced. I have looked at a youtube video and this seems quite straight forward. IS IT? I have a UK BMW 1 series - which side are the sensors on? Drivers side or off side? Where am I best to buy them from? If I buy them and fit them, will the warning light disappear or do I need to pay someone to reset it ???

2. The other warning lights, following diagnosos is about the vehicle stability - the mechanics computer says the ABD pump needs replacing. I have tested the ABS and it is working perfectly well, so I think ( I AM NO EXPERT ) that there must be a sensor in the pump and this sensor is inoperative, resulting in the nault. I feel aggrieved having to pay hundreds of pounds to replace a pump that is actually appearing to work fine. Any advice?

I have seen a machine on Ebay for £20 which says it can reset your lights, etc. But I am a bit sceptical, and I am aware that some of these machines will not reset ABS faults.........

Any advice will be helpful.

I do like my car, but in my view it has too many sensors. The garage wants £100 to replace my brake sensors, and I am gutted that this cost is purely for sensors, it is not actually affecting the road worthiness of my car !!!!!!

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: BMW VEHICLE STABILITY / BRAKES WARNING LIGHTS - HELP !

Post by M60NJP » 31 Oct 2012, 22:37

1. Really easy to change, but very unusual for them to break. Are you sure the pad wear is ok? You can buy them on line easily. The lights will go out once new ones are fitted. I can't remember which side they're on, but you can usually see them through the wheel.

2. I'm not sure understand your diagnosis on this one. The stability control isn't just ABS so I'm not sure your diagnosis is correct. If a fault code has appeared, it's important itis properky diagnosed. Am I correct you don't entirely trust your mechanic.?

The cheap reset tools are no use at all for your model!

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 01 Nov 2012, 16:50

p.s the wear sensors are on the left (near) side calipers!

I see on line there are places that do rebuilds the ABS pump and claim a fraction of the cost of a replacement. Of course the vehicle is off the road for a while.

Alandoc
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Alandoc » 02 Nov 2012, 11:43

Thank you for your replies. I will repair the break sensors myself. They are "broken", I had new tyres last year and the garage said the sensor was broken off, then I got new front brakes, the rear brakes were checked and all were in perfect working order, so it is definately a fault with the sensor itself. I can get them online for £8 each plus £5 postage plus vat - so I can save £80 on fitting them myself !

In relation to the ABS - it has been hooked up to the fancy , expensive computer, and the fault reads ABS pump needs replaced. But I have test driven the car, slammed on the brakes and still had control, steering, which I think is because the ABS is working. I think the ABS is working, the computer says the pump is fauly. I was quote £180 for a new punp, plus labout and vat, but I have seen the pumps online at almost £400 !!!

I feel as the ABS is working, why should I replace the pump !? I think, again, it is a fauly sensor, so because the sensor inside the pump or in the computer system is faulty, I have to get a new pump and this is all wrong. I trust the mechanic, but he trusts the computer. I feel the computer is wrong.

What can I do?

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 02 Nov 2012, 11:50

You're spot-on to change the brake wear sensors - it's a straightforward job.

Re the ABS pump - it is of course always possible for a sensor to fail or give a false reading, but even if the ABS appears to work now, the sensor may be picking up indications of failure. So, it's a toss-up between £180 (good price!) and potentially ABS complete failure (or vs a potentially faluty sensor which you'll simply never know for sure!).

Only you can judge the price of ABS risk vs £180? For what it's worth, £180 all inc seems a good price to me, so I'd get it done!!

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Post by RayB » 02 Nov 2012, 11:52

Personally I would start with the cheapest option (change the sensors) then read the codes again?

Alandoc
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Alandoc » 14 Nov 2012, 15:15

Thanks for your posts guys. I will change the sensors and see where it goes from there. If you recommend changing the ABS pump, it will be done, if the repaired sensors don't take out the warning lights.

GREAT FORUM - I~LL BE BACK !

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 14 Nov 2012, 17:39

Thanks Alandoc - good luck with the sensors, please do indeed post back and keep us informed!

Gus247
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring
'12 F31 330d Touring

Post by Gus247 » 15 Nov 2012, 13:46

sorry for the late note on this one... good luck mate - hope it all works out as you hope :thumbup:
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK

Alandoc
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Alandoc » 08 Jan 2013, 17:13

Finally get round to taking a wheel off to have a look at the faulty brake wear sensor. Only to find my locking wheel nut thing missing !!! I phoned BMW and they say I can get a replacement for £7 plus vat, which seems unusually reasonable for BMW !!
I had swithered about just going to a garage, but the chap at BMW said if I fit the part propertly the computer should pick up the part and reset the fault light for the brake wear sensor.
Can anyone confirm this? Is there a best place to buy the brake wear sensor to be sure the Car Computer recognises it?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again - great responses - helpful forum.

Return to “BMW 1 Series Forum”