Date/Time 'frozen'

For everything relating to the BMW 1 series
Billy_Apache
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 118d M-Sport 2015

Date/Time 'frozen'

Post by Billy_Apache » 14 Feb 2016, 13:28

Hi

I recently bought my first BMW (118d M-sport 2015) and noticed that the date and time don't advance. IE they don't work. I can set them manually and I can synchronise them using BMW online in the Settings menu, but once done, the time stays exactly the same for the whole journey. Each subsequent journey where I have left the car and turned the ignition back on to drive somewhere else , advances the minutes by one. Curious. Either it is the software being confused somehow or the timer chip or something hardware isn't working deeper in the bowels of the car

Being under warranty, I have booked the car in to be looked at but not for two more weeks yet and as I am doing about 100 miles a day, it is getting frustrating that I have no time reference on the dash or media displays, especially when I use the satnav because the journey end time never changes unless I re-synch the time.

Does anybody have the same issue or any advice on what I can try to resolve this before I have to hand it to BMW for a couple of days (and the inconvenience of a 60 mile round trip and sorting a loan car etc..)? I have tried updating, restoring then updating the media/telephone software thinking that might help but to no avail.

I was going to try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to try and 'kick start' the clock again but reading some posts on the internet, it appears that other computer controlled systems in the car might be adversely affected and leave the car in worse health than if I just wait - Any advice on this element too?

Thanks.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Date/Time 'frozen'

Post by M60NJP » 14 Feb 2016, 16:03

Never heard of that. I too would have suggested a hard reboot (30 mins min with battery disconnected) as never heard of issues doing this.......

Not tried it on my 1-series, but the previous E64 6-series wasn't bothered and that was very complicated canbus controlled.

Billy_Apache
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Billy_Apache » 14 Feb 2016, 16:58

Maybe I'll give disconnecting the battery a try anyway....

Maxwell
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: F13 M6
E53 3.0d

Post by Maxwell » 14 Feb 2016, 17:10

Disconnect the battery for a minimum of 30 mins and after the reconnect do not touch anything for 10 mins this causes a full reboot of all modules,
then you must initialise certain things according to BMW but most people don't bother except for the clock.

Reset the clock - do this first, its required by certain modules.
Put all windows fully down and then fully up - this is required for proper operation of the anti trap feature.
If you have power fold mirrors fully fold and open them out again.
Start the engine and turn your steering fully lock to lock twice.

If you can, have any error codes read and deleted particularly anything related to the CIC*/CCC*/NBT*
*as applicable to your car

Billy_Apache
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Billy_Apache » 15 Feb 2016, 18:32

Your insightful response is much appreciated Maxwell. It sounds like it isn't going to affect the car too badly if that is all that needs to be done...

Return to “BMW 1 Series Forum”