Engine Oil Cooler

Peter Armstrong
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 525tds E39

Engine Oil Cooler

Post by Peter Armstrong » 02 Feb 2013, 20:33

I have a BMW 5 Series E39 P Reg. Which has had an oil leak for ages but has got to bad to ignore.
Does anybody know where I can get a replacement used or new one or can they be repaired..

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Engine Oil Cooler

Post by M60NJP » 02 Feb 2013, 20:44

I don't know of any reconditioners, but others will comment. Lots of e39s in breakers so shouldn't be too hard to find. Have you checked if they are still available from dealers?

Peter Armstrong
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Peter Armstrong » 04 Feb 2013, 14:17

I have tried most of the search site 247 Spares, Parts Gateway etc. had 2 replies one for £124, which I ordered but then they phoned back to say sorry but they would need another £70 so I said no and got my money back. Another which said they had one for £42 ( slight difference in price which made me suspicious) when I went to order it and asked to confirm it was the correct one asked me to send a photo, which I did and to date after 2 more phone calls I am still no further forward.
There seems to be a bit of confusion between an engine oil cooler and a gearbox oil cooler which there are loads of.
Someone suggested just looping the inlet and outlet pipes together and doing away with the cooler would this be ok?? and how would you do it??..

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 04 Feb 2013, 14:33

Peter Armstrong wrote:I have tried most of the search site 247 Spares, Parts Gateway etc. had 2 replies one for £124, which I ordered but then they phoned back to say sorry but they would need another £70 so I said no and got my money back. Another which said they had one for £42 ( slight difference in price which made me suspicious) when I went to order it and asked to confirm it was the correct one asked me to send a photo, which I did and to date after 2 more phone calls I am still no further forward.
There seems to be a bit of confusion between an engine oil cooler and a gearbox oil cooler which there are loads of.
Someone suggested just looping the inlet and outlet pipes together and doing away with the cooler would this be ok?? and how would you do it??..
I suspect that would work - in that it would stop the leak and maybe enough to sell the car on to an unsuspecting buyer, but it cools the oil for a reason so I don't think I'd take the chance.

Whereabouts are you in the UK? There must be reconditioners around?

deutschtech - what would you guys do please?

Peter Armstrong
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Peter Armstrong » 04 Feb 2013, 19:05

I have checked with radiator repair company and as it is an aluminium construction they can't do anything with it.
Have got a quote for a new one on special order for £300 will keep trying to find a second hand one but may have to lash out and buy the new one..

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 05 Feb 2013, 07:25

Peter Armstrong wrote:I have checked with radiator repair company and as it is an aluminium construction they can't do anything with it.
Have got a quote for a new one on special order for £300 will keep trying to find a second hand one but may have to lash out and buy the new one..
elmsdirectparts can you price this please?

Return to “Engine & Transmission”