Cataclean - Product Review - it works (ish)

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Cataclean - Product Review - it works (ish)

Post by M60NJP » 09 Mar 2018, 08:46

After a few false starts due to weather etc, I've done a few regular commutes and it seems to have made a difference!!

When you only have a few bhp, any change in power or torque is noticeable and it certainly drives smoother and pulls better than it did before. I think the car had barely left MK when I bought it so could well have been a bit coked up, so maybe the Cataclean has done a better job of clearing 'the tubes' than an injector cleaner I used when I bought it.

The grumbly engine is a bit quieter - BUT with four new tyxres and a new starter motor, the reason for this may be unrelated!

Fuel consumption is a fraction better - it's still crap for a small engined town car IMO but had dipped below an avergae of 35 mpg and appears to have gone up by a couple to c37 where it was when I got it.

As said before, I've no idea on emissions so can't say if it really will help on an MoT but in theory a smoother engine and better MPG (however marginal) should be a benefit.

Do the economics stack up? Retail is usually £20 for a tin. 2 mpg means (roughly) an extra 15-20 miles per tankful, so (roughly) £2.50 saved per fill. It therefore pays for itself after c8 tankfuls. Not unmissable to be honest but at least there seems to be a positive outcome - although regular re-use is recommended (of course).

Conclusion - worth a punt if your car is borderline on emissions or maybe if you do big mileage. I've no idea what to expect if you have a diesel. If anyone fancies a trial and will be at one of this year's meets I can get a bottle at trade for test purposes!!

cockneyrebel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 09 Mar 2018, 09:17

Somethings telling me you have 200 boxes of this stuff you bought off "Dodgy Ron" in the Pub =)) =))
But ill be up for a bottle.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 09 Mar 2018, 09:43

cockneyrebel wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 09:17
Somethings telling me you have 200 boxes of this stuff you bought off "Dodgy Ron" in the Pub =)) =))
But ill be up for a bottle.
Summat like that - Dodgy Glen in Walsall in fact. But only £12 to you/members here!

Sounds good, definitely worth a punt :thumbup:

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 28 Mar 2018, 08:03

Unexpected update!!

It seems to take a while to actually work!!

It's several weeks and a couple of full tanks of petrol, but the MPG has suddenly increased quite considerably (from c34 to 40 as of this morning) and I'm pretty sure it does pull better and is slightly quieter!

The product will be long gone from the fuel system (or incredibly diluted!) so can only assume it loosened some carbon deposits etc which have since cleared and 'ungummed' the fuel system? The car a 120 miler to/from Heathrow at a fairly steady 70 mph (yes, really!)with three adults and 75kg of luggage and since that journey I've seen the consumption decrease to the current 40 mpg (OBC reset after returning from LHR so back to thwe same journey each day).

Didn't expect that.

Return to “Off topic - Anything Goes!”