Car Value insurance payout

A simple summary or things to consider and an unofficial Forum service for members if needed.
Chalks13
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: Mini Cooper '52 plate, 2003.

Re: Car Value insurance payout

Post by Chalks13 » 11 May 2018, 05:43

Something that came to mind this morning about write offs and buying one on record.

Most insurers work on a sliding scale for value to repair costs.

EG - a car valued at £2k could have £2100 worth of damage and be a CAT C. This could simply be someone pouring brake fluid over it and keying the panels, leaving with it needing a respray.
OR...
A car valued at £10k has heavy front end damage, air bags deploy etc and the repairs cost £8500. That is a CAT D.

Without knowing what was damaged and when, typically someone would buy a CAT D over a CAT C, thinking it’s minor damage.

In the above, which would you buy if you saw it was a previous CAT C or D??

I’d also add, categorisation has now changed (late 2017) from C & D to N & S. This relates to Non structural damage and Structural damage.

Anything that is a structural panel, such as B post, Chassis etc that is damaged and the repairs exceed the value, now means it’s a CAT S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 11 May 2018, 09:26

I probably would buy neither - but only because of the many sales I've seen they're 'optimistically' priced by the seller. A pal of mine on the trade buys stock for a major franchise dealer and even Cat D only sell/are valued at 50% of CAP, yet many seem to be offered in Autotrader at only 20% of other similar cars.

If the price was right, the damage limited, repaired at a traceable/reputable place and photographed/receipted etc I'd not discount one............................but I've not seen many that tick all those boxes!!

Chalks13
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: Mini Cooper '52 plate, 2003.

Post by Chalks13 » 11 May 2018, 14:33

Typically when valuing a vehicle when it’s been written off previously, a 10-20% deduction would be madec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “How much is my car worth?”