Something for the weekend (well this weekend)

Many if us have other cars/motorbikes which aren't Baveria's finest.....threads about them go here!
Maxwell
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: F13 M6
E53 3.0d

Something for the weekend (well this weekend)

Post by Maxwell » 18 Nov 2016, 18:19

Caroline finally got her hands on the company car for the weekend, its powered by a Hydrogen fuel cell designed and manufactured by her company so this is their demonstrator.

Reports on power etc will follow.
fuel cell.jpg
fuel cell.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 1158 times

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Re: Something for the weekend (well this weekend)

Post by RayB » 18 Nov 2016, 18:22

Nice! Although the rear doors are getting in the way of the rear lights wrapping around a little more! :d

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E34-M5
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 18 Nov 2016, 19:54

Hydrogen fuel cell is the only realistic answer to the use of fossil fuels
So it'll be interesting to see how you find it :thumbup:
Life's to short to be driving boring cars
It's all about the old school

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 18 Nov 2016, 21:47

Discostew38 wrote:Hydrogen fuel cell is the only realistic answer to the use of fossil fuels
So it'll be interesting to see how you find it :thumbup:
I reckon the same. Will watch with interest.

Maxwell
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: F13 M6
E53 3.0d

Post by Maxwell » 21 Nov 2016, 11:56

Well after several drives in it I can say I quite liked it,

There are only 5 of the fuel cell cars in this country and a further 11 in Europe although worldwide Hyundai have now produced 1000 of them
There is no real infrastructure for hydrogen refuelling here in the UK(3 places in London, Honda UK in Swindon and a new one has been opened on one of the M1 services recently)

First off let me discuss the car itself, it is Hyundai ix35 based and has all the same refinements as the normal models.
One thing that I found is that this car a nightmare for inherent blind spots (A pillars, B pillars and big outside mirror housings the main culprits) and also being a left hand drive didn't help.

The fuel cell version is designated ix35 fcev and is appoximately 400kg heavier than the normal models due to the enormous and apparently very expensive hydrogen fuel tank.

MPG is comparable to a good new diesel and the cost of hydrogen is around £10 per Kg with the tank capable of holding 5Kg so £50 to fill up,
this gives a range of 360 miles so far better range than anything purely electric.

Power is delivered by a single speed automatic gearbox which has 3 modes, Drive, Eco and Low, tried all of them but didn't notice any real difference between them at all.

Power is delivered very smoothly at all speeds and from standstill it will accelerate quite nicely to 40mph but I found that it would (although still accelerating) feel a little gutless after that (no power band just constant smooth acceleration) upto 70mph and (allegedly) beyond. Releasing the accelerator then firmly planting it to the floor does not cause any surges at all just that constant acceleration again.

Only noise in the cabin comes from the tyres/road surface so very quiet to drive and of course pedestrians and cyclists don't know its there
as evidenced this morning when one walking his dog with his hood up almost found out to his cost.

Would I buy one, well that depends on the infrastructure being built country wide and what I would use it for, as a family runaround I can see the advantages, I could also see where it would score emissions wise if it was fitted to the likes of local delivery vans etc.
It is of course 100% green as the only emissions are water and occasionally steam as it vents the system upon shutdown.

Cost wise it is £53k inclusive of a £15k government grant and with the price of the hydrogen about the same as diesel you would have to be very green orientated to buy one.

I will see if its possible to borrow it for one of the shows next year so those interested can have a proper look around it.

Return to “Members' Non-BMWs”