The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Many if us have other cars/motorbikes which aren't Baveria's finest.....threads about them go here!
User avatar
M60NJP
Site Owner
Posts: 23447
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 13:22
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300
Location: Bucks
Location: Buckinghamshire
Contact:

The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by M60NJP » 10 Jul 2015, 09:29

Although owned from new and mainly motorway miles, the trust Volvo has never had great brakes! This time last year it was a right PITA getting it through the MoT despite new pads all round, calipers all replaced, fluid changed and a new handbrake cable!

As they've never been great (the car was designed in the mid 1990s) and always seem worseafter driving the BMW of course, I always dread the MoT. Anyway, it's booked in next Thursday! I've checked out the price of a master cylinder just in case..............because if it fails on the brakes, I can't see what else is left to change!! The added issue is that although it's a great car with proven history, it's only worth about £800 so any repairs become less and less viable!!

Stay tuned..........

User avatar
Gus247
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 11121
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 14:24
Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring
'12 F31 330d Touring
Location: Reading, Berks.

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by Gus247 » 10 Jul 2015, 11:04

M60NJP wrote:Although owned from new and mainly motorway miles, the trust Volvo has never had great brakes! This time last year it was a right PITA getting it through the MoT despite new pads all round, calipers all replaced, fluid changed and a new handbrake cable!

As they've never been great (the car was designed in the mid 1990s) and always seem worseafter driving the BMW of course, I always dread the MoT. Anyway, it's booked in next Thursday! I've checked out the price of a master cylinder just in case..............because if it fails on the brakes, I can't see what else is left to change!! The added issue is that although it's a great car with proven history, it's only worth about £800 so any repairs become less and less viable!!

Stay tuned..........
Fingers crossed bud... when you say about the brakes, were they still an advisory after all the work?
aka Andy

Image

BMW Forum UK

User avatar
M60NJP
Site Owner
Posts: 23447
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 13:22
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300
Location: Bucks
Location: Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by M60NJP » 10 Jul 2015, 11:08

Gus247 wrote:
M60NJP wrote:Although owned from new and mainly motorway miles, the trust Volvo has never had great brakes! This time last year it was a right PITA getting it through the MoT despite new pads all round, calipers all replaced, fluid changed and a new handbrake cable!

As they've never been great (the car was designed in the mid 1990s) and always seem worseafter driving the BMW of course, I always dread the MoT. Anyway, it's booked in next Thursday! I've checked out the price of a master cylinder just in case..............because if it fails on the brakes, I can't see what else is left to change!! The added issue is that although it's a great car with proven history, it's only worth about £800 so any repairs become less and less viable!!

Stay tuned..........
Fingers crossed bud... when you say about the brakes, were they still an advisory after all the work?
No - but only just scraped past the minimum force on the guage - despite all the new parts!

User avatar
Gus247
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 11121
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 14:24
Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring
'12 F31 330d Touring
Location: Reading, Berks.

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by Gus247 » 10 Jul 2015, 12:26

M60NJP wrote:
Gus247 wrote:
M60NJP wrote:Although owned from new and mainly motorway miles, the trust Volvo has never had great brakes! This time last year it was a right PITA getting it through the MoT despite new pads all round, calipers all replaced, fluid changed and a new handbrake cable!

As they've never been great (the car was designed in the mid 1990s) and always seem worseafter driving the BMW of course, I always dread the MoT. Anyway, it's booked in next Thursday! I've checked out the price of a master cylinder just in case..............because if it fails on the brakes, I can't see what else is left to change!! The added issue is that although it's a great car with proven history, it's only worth about £800 so any repairs become less and less viable!!

Stay tuned..........
Fingers crossed bud... when you say about the brakes, were they still an advisory after all the work?
No - but only just scraped past the minimum force on the guage - despite all the new parts!
bedding in issues??? maybe better now (oddly) with a few miles on.. :-ss x_x :ympray:
aka Andy

Image

BMW Forum UK

User avatar
M60NJP
Site Owner
Posts: 23447
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 13:22
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300
Location: Bucks
Location: Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by M60NJP » 10 Jul 2015, 12:51

Gus247 wrote:
bedding in issues??? maybe better now (oddly) with a few miles on.. :-ss x_x :ympray:
Brakes or driver?

User avatar
Gus247
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 11121
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 14:24
Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring
'12 F31 330d Touring
Location: Reading, Berks.

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by Gus247 » 10 Jul 2015, 13:55

M60NJP wrote:
Gus247 wrote:
bedding in issues??? maybe better now (oddly) with a few miles on.. :-ss x_x :ympray:
Brakes or driver?
Both?!?!?! :))
aka Andy

Image

BMW Forum UK

User avatar
M60NJP
Site Owner
Posts: 23447
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 13:22
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300
Location: Bucks
Location: Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by M60NJP » 16 Jul 2015, 09:20

Dropped it off on the way to work today...........

(Glad I checked the bulbs though as had two out at the rear!)

User avatar
lizzie
BMW Enthusiasts Ladies
Posts: 6666
Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 12:17
Car model: F22 M235i
E63 635d
+ 8
Location: Bath
Location: Bath

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by lizzie » 16 Jul 2015, 09:26

I'm sure it will be ok


Sent from Lizzie's iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Metroreg
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 9035
Joined: 14 Oct 2011, 20:55
Car model: E46 330ci Vert
Location: London
Location: London

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by Metroreg » 16 Jul 2015, 12:59

Well Neil whats the outcome of the mot, :-??
MODS TEAM
Sam

Image

BMW Enthusiasts is a free club for everything BMW related

E46 330ci Vert

Check out our new home page! >> BMW Forum

User avatar
M60NJP
Site Owner
Posts: 23447
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 13:22
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300
Location: Bucks
Location: Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: The trusty Volvo....MoT next week!

Post by M60NJP » 16 Jul 2015, 13:13

Metroreg wrote:Well Neil whats the outcome of the mot, :-??
Not heard yet - just left it for the day so they can do it anytime!

Post Reply

Return to “Members' Non-BMWs”