My 944 thread....

Many if us have other cars/motorbikes which aren't Baveria's finest.....threads about them go here!
M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: My 944 thread....

Post by M60NJP » 16 Dec 2016, 18:42

He's a right mini-me (you)!

theguvnor
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E46 M3 Vert
E34 520i SE Touring
Porsche 944 2.7

Post by theguvnor » 17 Dec 2016, 09:11

Cheers chaps! Yeah.....he's growing up quick 17 in January. Thankfully the Army will each him to drive !

theguvnor
BMW Enthusiast
E34 520i SE Touring
Porsche 944 2.7

Post by theguvnor » 08 Jan 2017, 12:23

Took the cover off the Porsche this morning to give it a check. Not too much moisture to get rid of and none inside thanks to my moisture trap. Here's a picture which shows what's keeping her from getting an MOT. The bit of yellow microfiber cloth you can see should be solid steel sill, not fresh air! Check the other side feels solid. But with these 944's you do the sills in pairs. As the other wont be too far behind. . The crazy thing is 924's just don't rust in the sills.

cockneyrebel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 08 Jan 2017, 13:00

Not good Matt, not picked up whilst other work
was being carried out !!??

theguvnor
BMW Enthusiast
E34 520i SE Touring
Porsche 944 2.7

Post by theguvnor » 08 Jan 2017, 13:16

I think they ignored it.....would've meant my motor being at their workshop for a good while longer and they needed the space for dealer work. In the next few weeks I need to make my mind up do I leave her on the drive for another year or borrow the money to get her done. I hoping to find some sry storage in the next six months or so which will be better than under the cover on the drive. I may just have to risk it rotting away a bit while I get the funds together.

cockneyrebel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 08 Jan 2017, 18:53

theguvnor wrote:I think they ignored it.....would've meant my motor being at their workshop for a good while longer and they needed the space for dealer work. In the next few weeks I need to make my mind up do I leave her on the drive for another year or borrow the money to get her done. I hoping to find some sry storage in the next six months or so which will be better than under the cover on the drive. I may just have to risk it rotting away a bit while I get the funds together.

Rock & a hard place I'm afraid mate, perhaps after a while
you could mention it to the new firm, they might have a hanger space somewhere near.

theguvnor
BMW Enthusiast
E34 520i SE Touring
Porsche 944 2.7

Post by theguvnor » 08 Jan 2017, 20:27

cockneyrebel wrote:
theguvnor wrote:I think they ignored it.....would've meant my motor being at their workshop for a good while longer and they needed the space for dealer work. In the next few weeks I need to make my mind up do I leave her on the drive for another year or borrow the money to get her done. I hoping to find some sry storage in the next six months or so which will be better than under the cover on the drive. I may just have to risk it rotting away a bit while I get the funds together.

Rock & a hard place I'm afraid mate, perhaps after a while
you could mention it to the new firm, they might have a hanger space somewhere near.
Funny you should say that they own half of Throckmorton Airfield near Ruths parents.......going to ask when I've passed my probationary period!!!

theguvnor
BMW Enthusiast
E34 520i SE Touring
Porsche 944 2.7

Post by theguvnor » 15 Oct 2017, 09:39

Well a total rollercoaster of emotions over the past few weeks over the 944. I had got the reads to do full resto mod with sills done and uprated suspension, bodywork sorted and the niggly bits done. I had my restorer lined up and booked him in to come and have a look at the 944 where she is stored. Happy Days.

Until he came to look at the 944 yesterday. The rot is not just in the sills, it has gone into the floor pan in the corners. So where the front bulkhead meets the floor and at the rear around the suspension mounts. Not good, at all. So to sort the rot as found busts the budget i had to sort the sills and the rest ( and that was a good lump of money ). Gutted doesn't ( again ) cover it.

Soooooo what to do? For the money i have available i wanted a fully 'sorted' 944, not just one with the bodywork done and loads of other little bits to do that probably adds up to £3k's worth of work. Current plan is to leave the 944 in storage for a few years, let the prices creep up and either look at doing all the work then, or sell as a project hopefully for what i paid for her initially ( about £3k ). I have had it confirmed as she is dry stored the rot won't get any worse. And she still looks mint from the outside....there's a warning for anyone looking to buy a 944!!

And the readies i have set aside for the 944....i think i may see what i can do with an E34 Touring......

Shanusascarabus
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: Focus Rover BRM

Post by Shanusascarabus » 15 Oct 2017, 10:42

That's a beautiful looking car you have there, however I had a friend who had one too and it was the same story.... looked perfect inside and out but had serious hidden rot around the sill/rear wheel area if I remember correctly..... it was creeping quite far up and was just in a state of disrepair ( his words not mine as anything is repairable ).
I think he sold it as a project in the end.. can't see it being scrapped..... glad to hear your going to attempt to save it.

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E34-M5
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 15 Oct 2017, 14:44

theguvnor wrote:Well a total rollercoaster of emotions over the past few weeks over the 944. I had got the reads to do full resto mod with sills done and uprated suspension, bodywork sorted and the niggly bits done. I had my restorer lined up and booked him in to come and have a look at the 944 where she is stored. Happy Days.

Until he came to look at the 944 yesterday. The rot is not just in the sills, it has gone into the floor pan in the corners. So where the front bulkhead meets the floor and at the rear around the suspension mounts. Not good, at all. So to sort the rot as found busts the budget i had to sort the sills and the rest ( and that was a good lump of money ). Gutted doesn't ( again ) cover it.

Soooooo what to do? For the money i have available i wanted a fully 'sorted' 944, not just one with the bodywork done and loads of other little bits to do that probably adds up to £3k's worth of work. Current plan is to leave the 944 in storage for a few years, let the prices creep up and either look at doing all the work then, or sell as a project hopefully for what i paid for her initially ( about £3k ). I have had it confirmed as she is dry stored the rot won't get any worse. And she still looks mint from the outside....there's a warning for anyone looking to buy a 944!!

And the readies i have set aside for the 944....i think i may see what i can do with an E34 Touring......
Personally I'd just bite the bullet and get it done
There is no such thing as dry storage unless the car is in one of them cocoon type dehumidified air chambers
Bear rust or exposed rust will absorb the dampness in the air and carry on rusting
It's far easier to prevent it rusting when it's fixed than it is to stop it getting worse
I know this from experience
The options as I see it are like this
1) sell it now as a project but any project car is worth a fraction of its MOT'd up and running self so your going to take a big lost
2) store it till the prices go sky high and then sell it as a project
But it's still a project so it's still only worth a fraction of a good one and it's cost you several years of storage costs
And now it's in worse shape than it was before not to mention other stuff on the car will probably not work now like brakes clutch tyres electrics etc etc
3) or fix it
Ok it's 3 grand and I understand that's a lot of money and you say the car owes you another 3 grand
So in total it's a 6 Grand mint 944
Good 944 are going for that now anyway so it's a good investment in my book
And you have a car you can use plus it's easier to keep a good car in good shape than a tatty one

I have the same dilemma with my M5 it's in good shape but it's not perfect but the market for them at the moment is crap
So option 1 isn't worth doing and I don't want to spend any money on it making it mint because the market is so poor
So I'm going down the option 2 route with the idea I just put it to one side and forget about it
I'm not paying storage costs as its at home and I spent a fair amount of time on the pre storage prep so that should help it last longer
But it gives me two options. If I uncover it in years to come and it's just a pile of rust on the floor then il just break it and stick the engine in a Volvo
Or if it's looking ok and the market has improved il spend the time and money needed to make it mint and then sell it

So if I was you and I had the money or at least most of it then I'd get it fixed up :thumbup:
Life's to short to be driving boring cars
It's all about the old school

Return to “Members' Non-BMWs”