Couple of questions regarding a GT

For everything relating to the BMW 2 Series

Couple of questions regarding a GT

Postby esieens » 23 Sep 2017, 16:16

Hi All,

I have a 220xd GT and I have a few questions:

1. When using snow socks with drive should I turn off DSC?
2. In the manual it says in certain conditions, the parking brake will automatically activate when moving the gear to P. So far I have not seen this happening. Anyone knows what are the conditions so that it works?
3. IN the settings of my ideate for Climate, I have an option to activate auxiliary heating with two different start time. I have not been able to turn this on as selecting this option does nothing. Is there some pre-requisite t activate this option?

Thanks in advance.
esieens
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 220xd GT

Re: Couple of questions regarding a GT

Postby cockneyrebel » 23 Sep 2017, 18:50

Sorry about delay in answers, I'm in the e36 gang, but I'm sure one of the up to date bods will be along soon. :thumbup:
cockneyrebel

Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Postby RayB » 24 Sep 2017, 05:16

No need to turn the traction control (DSC) off

When moving to P?? The brake will be applied in Start/Stop on a hill to stop the car rolling. See here https://secure.bmw.com/com/en/insights/ ... king_brake

Not 100% sure but I think it only blows cold air through the car so good for hot days.......no idea how to activate it though
RayB
Site Owner

Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Postby M60NJP » 24 Sep 2017, 08:13

1. No
2. I'm not sure how it works (movement or tilt sensor I assume?) but it self-engages on any slope, based on continued movement of the car
3. I'm pretty sure this is an option only, so it may show on I-Driven but not be activated - the full set-up does have an auxilliary heater for warm air but I believe is a 'cold weather pack' specced from the factory.
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby esieens » 24 Sep 2017, 08:20

Thank you both.

With xdrive do you use snow socks on all tyres or just the rear ones?

I think I understood how to engage automatically the Parkig break after parking my car, am I right this only happens after you put the gear on P and turn off the engine?

Anyone can recommend a mat for the boot?

It also looks like there is no safety net option for the boot (to protect passengers on the back seat when you have fully loaded the boot), has someone found a solution to protect passengers from sliding luggages?

Thank you!
esieens
BMW Enthusiast

Postby M60NJP » 24 Sep 2017, 09:13

esieens wrote:Thank you both.

With xdrive do you use snow socks on all tyres or just the rear ones?

I think I understood how to engage automatically the Parkig break after parking my car, am I right this only happens after you put the gear on P and turn off the engine?

Anyone can recommend a mat for the boot?

It also looks like there is no safety net option for the boot (to protect passengers on the back seat when you have fully loaded the boot), has someone found a solution to protect passengers from sliding luggages?

Thank you!

If using socks, you could get away with just a pair on either set of wheels as they really only aid traction and don't do much for cornering/grip. However, in my VERY limited experience, I'd get a set of cheap wheels and put snow/winter tyres on, if you're somewhere where winter weather is harsh. (BTW, socks come in sets of 4 anyway usually!!)

Re the PB - as said above, my understanding is that it engages when in P, regardless of the engine 'state' based upon movement. I suspect it may self-engage on the flat when the engine of off though for obvious reasons!

After-market bootliners are not yet available for the 2-Series, but will no doubt appear soon. In the short-term it's either sell a kidney for a BMW one (ask in the Barons sub-forum for a price) or buy a generic after market one from a car accessory shop from brands like Cosmos, Sakura etc - making sure you know the dimensions of yours.

Again, I expect BMW will have some sort of luggage/dog guard?
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby esieens » 24 Sep 2017, 09:22

Thanks - no dog/luggage guard option for series 2 from BMW.

Not going to buy winter tyres for one trip to France a year. :)

I’m going try to figure out what is going on with my parking break then because mine has never yet engaged automatically when going in to P gear....
esieens
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Maxwell » 24 Sep 2017, 13:31

The parking brake engages hydraulically with P and doing so is transparent to the driver (so no led lit up on the parking brake switch or the sound you get when you use the switch)
Maxwell
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: F13 M6
E53 3.0d
E64 650i
E85 Z4
E46 318i
E39 525i

Postby esieens » 24 Sep 2017, 13:53

Oh ok. So you are saying that I should be able to park my car, put it into P gear and turn off the engine and the parking break would have been activated even if the red light on the parking break button is not on? Thx
esieens
BMW Enthusiast

Postby esieens » 25 Sep 2017, 08:25

Still no luck today to get parking break to activate itself. Put the car in P gear. Turn off engine. Still had to engage parking break manually...
esieens
BMW Enthusiast

Return to BMW 2 Series Forum