H7 leds for halogens

For everything relating to the BMW Mini
Chalks13
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 100
Joined: 23 Oct 2017, 15:55
Car model: Mini Cooper '52 plate, 2003.
Location: Basingstoke

H7 leds for halogens

Post by Chalks13 » 15 Nov 2017, 15:43

Hi guys, anyone tried or considered changing the dipped bulbs to leds? I’ve done my main beam to white bulbs, just seeing if it’s worth doing the dipped too?

Cheers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
M60NJP
Site Owner
Posts: 23464
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 13:22
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300
Location: Bucks
Location: Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by M60NJP » 15 Nov 2017, 15:53

Thought about it, but although I've changed the AEs to HID for cosmetic effect, I've never really seen any advantage in the light itself being whiter for the dips? I might think differently if I lived in a rural area though.

User avatar
Peter_R
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 36
Joined: 03 Mar 2017, 12:20
Car model: BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport
Location: Oxford

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by Peter_R » 26 Nov 2017, 17:06

You might know it is illegal to swap out halogens for LEDs? All to do with the reflector and light scatter along with "type approval".

User avatar
M60NJP
Site Owner
Posts: 23464
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 13:22
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300
Location: Bucks
Location: Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by M60NJP » 26 Nov 2017, 17:38

Peter_R wrote:You might know it is illegal to swap out halogens for LEDs? All to do with the reflector and light scatter along with "type approval".
Not entirely - Angel Eyes aren't beamed so not a problem. It's no illegal if you have self adjusting headlights - after all many newer cars have LED headlights.....and self adjusters.

User avatar
Peter_R
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 36
Joined: 03 Mar 2017, 12:20
Car model: BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport
Location: Oxford

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by Peter_R » 27 Nov 2017, 11:52

M60NJP wrote:
Peter_R wrote:You might know it is illegal to swap out halogens for LEDs? All to do with the reflector and light scatter along with "type approval".
Not entirely - Angel Eyes aren't beamed so not a problem. It's no illegal if you have self adjusting headlights - after all many newer cars have LED headlights.....and self adjusters.
If they were not specified in the type approval of the car, then they are not legal. New cars mostly have self adjusting projector headlights along with HIDs and also with LEDs with type approval. The person was talking about swapping out H7 halogen bulbs (main and dipped) for LEDs. This means he has halogen headlight reflectors and putting LEDs in their place produces bad light scatter and are not legal.

Angel eyes are daytime driving lights (some called parking or sidelights) and nothing to do with H7s used as main beams.

User avatar
M60NJP
Site Owner
Posts: 23464
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 13:22
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300
Location: Bucks
Location: Buckinghamshire
Contact:

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by M60NJP » 27 Nov 2017, 12:08

Peter_R wrote:
M60NJP wrote:
Peter_R wrote:You might know it is illegal to swap out halogens for LEDs? All to do with the reflector and light scatter along with "type approval".
Not entirely - Angel Eyes aren't beamed so not a problem. It's no illegal if you have self adjusting headlights - after all many newer cars have LED headlights.....and self adjusters.
If they were not specified in the type approval of the car, then they are not legal. New cars mostly have self adjusting projector headlights along with HIDs and also with LEDs with type approval. The person was talking about swapping out H7 halogen bulbs (main and dipped) for LEDs. This means he has halogen headlight reflectors and putting LEDs in their place produces bad light scatter and are not legal.

Angel eyes are daytime driving lights (some called parking or sidelights) and nothing to do with H7s used as main beams.
I disagree. They are not illegal per se - there is no law which forbids them? Without self-adjusters (as I stated previously) they may fall foul of the C&U regulations -= aka fail an MoT, which isn't the same as being arrested for an illegal act.

AE's are not the same as DRLs at all.

Let's be honest - fitting an exhaust which means 1db more than factory is also 'illegal'....................no one cares?!

User avatar
Peter_R
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 36
Joined: 03 Mar 2017, 12:20
Car model: BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport
Location: Oxford

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by Peter_R » 27 Nov 2017, 12:21

Agree to a point. The problem is going to be with MOTs, and also with type approval with the year of the car. The car owner would need to tell his insurance company of his change, and if he was in an accident with an oncoming car and they claimed they were dazzled by his lights then game over. I went this route with HIDs years ago with an Audi A3 and eventually binned the idea.

M60NJP wrote: AE's are not the same as DRLs at all.
Edited.
Not being pedantic and just to clarify on my 63 plate Pre- LCI X3 xDrive 30d MSport they are one and the same.

1. With the rotary lighting switch in the first ON position to the right (parking lights or sidelights position call them what you like) the Angel Eyes are ON and the rear lights are also ON. As they would be and what one would expect.

2. With the rotary lighting switch in the vertical position (all lights OFF), the driver can go into the iDrive and select from the menu
" Lights"
Then tick the middle selection
"Daytime driving lights"

This means the Angle Eyes are the DRLs and they are the only lights ON.

3. The ability to do the above (paragraph 2) is a factory option and was selected by BMW UK management when the car was built.

User avatar
RayB
Site Owner
Posts: 14220
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 13:06
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible
Location: Essex

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by RayB » 27 Nov 2017, 19:02

This has gone off on a tangent.....BTW a '52 plate Mini doesn't have angel eyes or iDrive!

User avatar
cockneyrebel
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 9806
Joined: 26 Sep 2012, 16:27
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.
Location: Dorset.

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by cockneyrebel » 27 Nov 2017, 19:03

Think we've got a member of the lighting police amongst us :lol:
Image

User avatar
FAB_BMW
BMW Enthusiast
Posts: 2360
Joined: 13 Mar 2013, 12:46
Car model: 2003 E46 330d Sport Touring
Location: Warlingham, Surrey

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by FAB_BMW » 28 Nov 2017, 01:53

If you've got Halogen bulbs in non-projection headlights, then changing them for anything other than Halogens is illegal due to the scattering light blinding other road users. The car will fail its MOT, and if you blind a police car, prepare for an almighty bollocking.

Even if you have projection headlights, unless you have head lamp washers and proper self-adjusting units, i.e. No beam height adjustment switch, then the car could fail its MOT.

Locked

Return to “BMW Mini Forum”