H7 leds for halogens

For everything relating to the BMW Mini
Alan Gunn
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 04 E46 320d
new toy e53 x5 3.0d

Re: H7 leds for halogens

Post by Alan Gunn » 28 Nov 2017, 07:25

FAB_BMW wrote:If you've got Halogen bulbs in non-projection headlights, then changing them for anything other than Halogens is illegal due to the scattering light blinding other road users. The car will fail its MOT, and if you blind a police car, prepare for an almighty bollocking.

Even if you have projection headlights, unless you have head lamp washers and proper self-adjusting units, i.e. No beam height adjustment switch, then the car could fail its MOT.
I have all of them ie self levelling - headlight washers and the beam height adjustment switch in my 5.

FAB_BMW
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 2003 E46 330d Sport Touring

Post by FAB_BMW » 28 Nov 2017, 07:44

Alan Gunn wrote:
FAB_BMW wrote:If you've got Halogen bulbs in non-projection headlights, then changing them for anything other than Halogens is illegal due to the scattering light blinding other road users. The car will fail its MOT, and if you blind a police car, prepare for an almighty bollocking.

Even if you have projection headlights, unless you have head lamp washers and proper self-adjusting units, i.e. No beam height adjustment switch, then the car could fail its MOT.
I have all of them ie self levelling - headlight washers and the beam height adjustment switch in my 5.
If you have an adjustment switch, then they are not self levelling. Many people see the headlight move up and down when they start the car, and wrongly assume they are self levelling, when in fact they are just testing the adjusters.

The only cars to have true self levelling headlights are the ones fitted with factory xenons.

Alan Gunn
BMW Enthusiast
new toy e53 x5 3.0d

Post by Alan Gunn » 28 Nov 2017, 10:17

FAB_BMW wrote:
Alan Gunn wrote:

If you have an adjustment switch, then they are not self levelling. Many people see the headlight move up and down when they start the car, and wrongly assume they are self levelling, when in fact they are just testing the adjusters.

The only cars to have true self levelling headlights are the ones fitted with factory xenons.
I have factory xenons and all the above.

FAB_BMW
BMW Enthusiast

Post by FAB_BMW » 28 Nov 2017, 10:48

Alan Gunn wrote:
FAB_BMW wrote:
Alan Gunn wrote: I have all of them ie self levelling - headlight washers and the beam height adjustment switch in my 5.

I have factory xenons and all the above.
Interesting, what generation 5 series is it?

Peter_R
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport

Post by Peter_R » 28 Nov 2017, 11:55

RayB wrote:This has gone off on a tangent.....BTW a '52 plate Mini doesn't have angel eyes or iDrive!
Yes I do know....thanks for stating the obvious to me. I do completely understand. I was merely following up on the statement by another site owner who
M60NJP wrote: AE's are not the same as DRLs at all.
When in fact in some cases they are!

Looks as though there are even more people going off at a tangent. Looking forward to comments from forum police again similar to below. :lol:
cockneyrebel wrote:Think we've got a member of the lighting police amongst us :lol:
When it comes to lighting, Can of worms comes to mind. :roll:

Alan Gunn
BMW Enthusiast
new toy e53 x5 3.0d

Post by Alan Gunn » 28 Nov 2017, 12:23

Sorry it should have said x5 (2002) and i also have LED's in the main beam

Peter_R
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport

Post by Peter_R » 28 Nov 2017, 12:42

Alan Gunn wrote:Sorry it should have said x5 (2002) and i also have LED's in the main beam
Factory Xenons and factory LEDs?

Alan Gunn
BMW Enthusiast
new toy e53 x5 3.0d

Post by Alan Gunn » 28 Nov 2017, 14:20

Peter_R wrote:
Alan Gunn wrote:Sorry it should have said x5 (2002) and i also have LED's in the main beam
Factory Xenons and factory LEDs?
No i fitted the LEDs to the main beam.

FAB_BMW
BMW Enthusiast

Post by FAB_BMW » 29 Nov 2017, 02:04

Peter_R wrote:Perhaps I will not join in any more and call it a day.
What you have contributed to this thread Peter is good information, and all your contributions are appreciated.

The only issues with forums, are the fact it's hard to get across your tone, much like in a text message.

Most of us on here have known each other for years in person, for example @cockneyrebel was my best man at my wedding, so when we type we know how the other one is saying something.

This is an extremely friendly forum, which likes abit of banter and debate(which is what has happened here).

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Post by RayB » 29 Nov 2017, 07:03

Thanks Fred, let's leave it at that now

Return to “BMW Mini Forum”