Driver stabilisation error

For everything relating to the BMW Mini
Rybeast
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: MINI Cooper SD

Driver stabilisation error

Post by Rybeast » 21 Apr 2017, 08:54

Hi,

I'm really clutching at straws, but here we go anyway.

I've purchased a Mini Cooper SD in September '16, and it keeps throwing errors at me, warning me there's a 'driver stabilisation error' and therefore I must 'drive moderately'. On the dashboard and behind the steering wheel it comes up with an image of a car skidding.

Now it isn't a major issue, but it throws off the stop/start system which can be problematic if I'm in traffic and the error decides to come up.

There's nothing specific that I'm doing to cause the error - some days it will come on whilst motorway driving, other days driving slowly in traffic, other times when I'm accelerating/decelerating for speed limit changes.

I took the car in over Christmas and the Mini garage replaced a sensor on the clutch - no avail. I've taken the car in again this half term and they've just restarted the whole of the onboard computer software after discussing the issue with 'head office'. Worked beautifully from pick up at 11am this morning until about twenty minutes ago back from the hospital. I've tried googling but I'm not having any success and I'm really starting to lose it with the garage, if I'm honest. Surely it can't be that difficult to correct?

Has anyone suffered anything similar, or works in BMW/Mini and has an idea about what's causing the issue? I don't know who else to turn to seeing as the garage clearly don't know themselves.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Driver stabilisation error

Post by M60NJP » 21 Apr 2017, 09:05

Stabilising the driver??!! Good luck with that :d

I'm assuming you're referring to chassis stabilising? This is a known fault on Minis which dealersseem to struggle with. Unfortunately there seems to be some disagreement whether it's a sensor issue or a software issue.

I'd be kicking the dealer for a fixand if they're not responding satisfactorily write to BMW UK.

cockneyrebel
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 21 Apr 2017, 09:07

Have you got a Warranty.?? If so keep hassling them,
If not find a good Indi, they usually have more passion for the brand.

Alan Gunn
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 04 E46 320d
new toy e53 x5 3.0d

Post by Alan Gunn » 21 Apr 2017, 09:26

Just found this on another forum.
"Dealers usually know this as a software bug and unless it persists or comes with a change in driving dynamics, it's usually not worth wasting the time. What they'll usually do is just reprogram it first, but this is a time consuming process (3-4+ hours in the programming bay) and software updates can sometimes introduce more issues so they try and avoid them if they can."

Rybeast
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: MINI Cooper SD

Post by Rybeast » 21 Apr 2017, 12:21

The actual error that comes up says 'driver stabilisation error', andto drive moderately and speak to dealer ASAP.

As I say, they've done the software update this time around, beforehand they replaced a sensor on the clutch, but I'm unsure as to what to suggest. I might give them a call and just ask them to spend time researching further fixes and to get in touch with me and what they've found at some point next week.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “BMW Mini Forum”