MINI Cooper SD 64 plate Oil consumption

For everything relating to the BMW Mini
MightyMag
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 330D MSport Sport Tourer

MINI Cooper SD 64 plate Oil consumption

Post by MightyMag » 25 Jan 2017, 10:55

Hi

Took delivery of my MINI last month, and was speaking with my local main dealer this morning when the topic of oil checking came up. I was advised that my engine can use up to a litre of oil every thousand miles. That's seems a high level for what is a relatively new engine (17000 miles on clock)?

Has anyone got experience of this subject?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: MINI Cooper SD 64 plate Oil consumption

Post by M60NJP » 25 Jan 2017, 11:08

Not as an owner - but as a sellerof engine oil!

I've a couple of customers with the current diesel engine and it seems they are a little prone to using it......BUT:

This may be something which reduce over time (they've not been out long enough to tell)
The dealer has been a little disingenuous in telling you what they did! When they say 'CAN use...' they're referring to the industry maximum for engine oil consumption which is 1l per 1000m - this is a self-appointed limit not one which any manufacturer aims or strives for. Audi's seem particularly prone to get very close to this 'limit'.

The current BMW turbo diesel does seem to get near this level of consumption - a combination of the turbo pressure and ultra-thin engine oil. Not really acceptable in my opinion. Don't follow my advice, but I wonder if a thicker oil grade will at least partially alleviate the consumption issue?

MightyMag
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 330D MSport Sport Tourer

Post by MightyMag » 25 Jan 2017, 11:33

M60NJP wrote:Not as an owner - but as a sellerof engine oil!

I've a couple of customers with the current diesel engine and it seems they are a little prone to using it......BUT:

This may be something which reduce over time (they've not been out long enough to tell)
The dealer has been a little disingenuous in telling you what they did! When they say 'CAN use...' they're referring to the industry maximum for engine oil consumption which is 1l per 1000m - this is a self-appointed limit not one which any manufacturer aims or strives for. Audi's seem particularly prone to get very close to this 'limit'.

The current BMW turbo diesel does seem to get near this level of consumption - a combination of the turbo pressure and ultra-thin engine oil. Not really acceptable in my opinion. Don't follow my advice, but I wonder if a thicker oil grade will at least partially alleviate the consumption issue?
Thanks Neal for the swift response! I agree with you that it's not acceptable for a modern engine, but at least I now know and will check regularly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrislux
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: Alpina B8 4.6 Touring Individual

Post by chrislux » 25 Jan 2017, 11:54

I have similar problem with my '06 R56 Cooper S (petrol - 130,000kms), and I have a friend with '07 that has same (115,000kms)
On the speedo there is a warning sticker that oil must be checked every 2000kms, but I have to check mine more often that that and it's always at the bottom of the dipstick. But there is no sign of smoky exhaust, leak on floor etc. The garage told me it's just 'one of those things with this engine' :shock:
'97 E36 Alpina B8 4.6 Touring (19#27), Individual Tannen Grun

'02 E39 ACS5 3.0d Touring, Individual Velvet Blau - sold

'05 E53 X5 3.0d , Sapphire Schwartz, re-mapped

'07 R56 Mini Cooper S, Astro Schwartz

Freude am Fahren - Sheer Driving Pleasure

Return to “BMW Mini Forum”